The Clerk’s office must receive your option with payment, if applicable, within 30 calendar days of the date that the officer issued the citation. Once you have chosen an option you cannot change your mind and choose another option.
Option 1: Pay the Traffic Civil Penalty                                                                      

What are the consequences of paying the civil penalty?

By paying the Traffic Civil Penalty, you are admitting guilt and DHSMV will assess points on your driving record for moving violations.

What forms of payment are accepted?

You may pay in person or by mail using cash, check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank.

You may also pay online using a debit or credit card.

If paying by mail, the Clerk’s office must receive payment within 30 calendar days from the date the citation was issued. Be sure to enclose the copy of the citation and the  Traffic Citation Option Form with payment.

The Clerk’s Office is not responsible for lost or delayed mail.

Are there any other requirements that must be met when using Option 1?

Yes. There are additional requirements if the citation was issued for:

a) driving with a driver’s license that has been expired for 4 months or less
b) registration that has been expired for 6 months or less
c) registration that has been expired for more than 6 months but is a first offense 
d) failing to show proof of driver license, registration, or insurance

Then you must provide proof that you have a valid driver license, registration, or insurance when you pay the civil penalty. Proof of insurance includes your insurance card, policy, or binder. A printout from your Insurance company is not adequate proof.

What if I am unable to provide proof of valid registration or insurance, how can I dispose of my citation?

If it is impossible or impractical for you to provide proof of registration or insurance, you may sign a sworn statement at the Clerk’s office or fill out this form, have it notarized and return it with your payment to the Traffic Department.

How can I prevent a conviction for a driver license, registration, or insurance infraction from appearing on my record?

Anyone not holding a commercial driver license (CDL) who has a citation issued for:

a) driving with a driver license expired for 4 months or less
b) registration expired for 6 months or less
c) registration expired more than 6 months - 1st offense
d) failure to display a valid driver license, registration, or proof of insurance or driving while license suspended without knowledge

may elect to enter a plea of no contest and present a valid driver license, registration, or proper proof of insurance to the Clerk of Court.
In such case, adjudication will be withheld. You must pay court costs. You can choose this option one time only in a 12 month period and 3 times in your lifetime

What do I do if my driver’s license, registration, or insurance was valid when I got the citation, but I didn’t have it in my possession?

If you are charged with failure to carry or display a valid driver license, proof of insurance, or vehicle registration, and you have proof that it was valid at the time the officer issued the citation, you may provide proof of your valid document, pay a dismissal fee, complete the Traffic Citation Option Form, and present the copy of your citation to the Traffic Department within 30 days. The Clerk’s office will then dismiss the charge.

Are there ways to reduce the amount I pay for an improper or unsafe equipment infraction?

If you received a citation for improper or unsafe equipment, under Florida Statute 316.610 or 316.2935, you have the opportunity to correct the defect and pay a reduced penalty amount. *

After you correct the equipment, you must then have a law enforcement agent inspect the repaired vehicle and sign the affidavit on your copy of the citation. The law enforcement agent must sign the citation within 30 calendar days from the date the citation was issued. (The agency will charge you an inspection fee). Take or mail the signed citation, and pay a reduced penalty to the Clerk’s office within 30 calendar days of receiving the citation.

*If you choose not to have the equipment repaired, you must pay the regular fine amount.

What if I need more time to pay the civil penalty, elect the driving school option and pay, to complete traffic school, or to provide proof of a valid driver license, registration, or insurance?

If you need more time to pay, to elect school and pay, to complete school, or to provide proof, you must submit a request for an extension.

The Clerk’s office can grant only one of each kind of extension. Your license must be valid, and we must receive your request by the original due date.

What happens if I do not pay the civil penalty, elect driving school , or request a hearing within 30 days of when the citation was issued?

If the Clerk’s office does not receive either a payment, a school election, a request for a hearing, or a request for an extension within 30 calendar days, the DHSMV will begin the process of suspending your drivers license.

My 13-year-old son got a citation for riding his bicycle without a helmet. What does he have to do?

He must submit proof that he owns a bicycle helmet that meets the standards in Florida Statute 316.2065. Then the case will be dismissed. An Affidavit of Compliance must be signed and submitted.

Email Privacy

Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Website Maintenance

Wednesday night is the regular weekly maintenance schedule for the servers. As a result there may be brief outages. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Disclaimer:

The Collier County Clerk of Courts is a Title II State and Local Government Section 504 / ADA Compliant Advocate.
The Collier County Clerk continues its efforts to constantly improve the accessibility of its site and services in the belief that it is our obligation to allow seamless, accessible and unhindered use also for those of us with disabilities. Despite our efforts to make all pages and content on Collierclerk.com fully accessible, some content may not have yet been fully adapted to the strictest accessibility standards. This may be a result of not having found or identified the most appropriate technological solution.

If you have any difficulties in accessing information please contact our office at 239-252-2646 so accommodations can be made or so we can further assist you.
Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act


This website is maintained by the Collier County Clerk of the Circuit Court & Comptroller.
Copyright© 2013 - 2019 All Rights Reserved.
Collier County Clerk of the Circuit Court & Comptroller
3315 Tamiami Trail East, Ste. 102
Naples, FL 34112-5324